Tuesday 22 December 2015

Posters for Reimagined Movies

The Hangover: "This is the one that makes most people say, ‘Oh, I didn’t know The Hangover was a remake.’ It’s one of the first ones I made. You’ve got the good-looking, asshole type guy, the square nerdy type, the wildcard comedic role and the blonde bombshell. It all just clicked.”

Modern films reimagined as classics of Hollywood's golden era – in pictures

When he was studying film at college, Peter Stults used to come up with imaginary movie ideas and turn them into posters. Fifteen years on, the New York-based graphic designer makes modern films look like old classics in his What If series, using a mix of Photoshop and collage. “People assume I don’t like modern movies – I do,” he says, “But I am attracted to the poster art of the golden age.” He spends weeks, sometimes months, researching directors, actors and studios in a quest to make the posters look as authentic as possible. “I like it when I trick people into thinking the modern movie is a remake of the film in my poster. If I can do that, I’m doing my job right.”


Iron Man: “I did this for a friend who was trying to impress a girl who had a crush on Paul Newman. He was suave, he could play cocky: he could have pulled off this role. The Iron Man outfit in the background is based onDoctor Who’s Cybermen.”

"Kingsman: The Secret Service" (1955) directed by Richard Brooks, starring Cary Grant


Interstellar: “Here, I wanted to create an epic space movie. Cecil B DeMille’s next project after The Ten Commandments was going to be a space exploration film, but he died, so I like to imagine that this is the movie he would have made.”

"Eraserhead" (1932) directed by and starring Charlie Chaplin

Pulp Fiction: “This was one of the first ones I made. I’m not saying Charlton Heston is like John Travolta, but I was amused by the idea of him doing a Tarantino monologue. In the cast list, I was picking and choosing actors I’d want to see in that film – I’ll let viewers decide which characters they’d play.”

"The Avengers: Age of Ultron" (1944) directed by William Wyler, starring Clark Gable

Drive: “This seemed very obvious to me: a young heartthrob, and the pop culture phenomenon of James Dean dying in a car crash. A lot of people think it should be an action star like Steve McQueen, but actually Drivewas Ryan Gosling’s first action role.”

"The Game" (1966) directed by John Frankenheimer, starring Kirk Douglas

"The Dead Zone" (1957) directed by Roger Corman, starring Vincent Price

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo“This was only my second poster for a silent-era movie and it was a lot of fun to make. I had originally planned on a mid-90s version starring Claire Forlani, or a 60s version with Audrey Hepburn, but this works better.”


After winning audiences over with his role in The Graduate, Dusitn Hoffman appears not just as the protagonist but as the antagonist as well. With supporting roles from Carl Reiner and Mia Farrow, this loose adaption of Dostoyevsky's novel is one not to be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment