Monday 25 March 2013

Paul Muldoon - Put Me Down


Put Me Down

I want to be the transport ship
From which we both lift off
I want to be the cartridge clip
In your Kalashnikov
I want to play war games in which
We get to use live rounds
And though you've left me for dead in a ditch
At least you've put me down
Put me down put me down
At least you've put me down

I want to be the rifle butt
You hold close to your breast
I don't care if your comments cut
Right through my Kevlar vest
I want to be within your scope
Should your remarks rebound
I guess I'm still hoping against hope
You won't just put it down
Put it down put it down
You won't just put it down

To my being on tenterhooks
Whenever you're around
I want to be the instruction book
You simply can't put down
Put down my love put down
The manual you can't put down

I want to be the haversack
That hangs about your neck
I'd follow you to hell and back
From this same helideck
I want to be the smoke that clears
Above the battleground
When the cry goes up for volunteers
I trust you'll put me down
Put me down put me down
I trust you'll put me down

Paul Muldoon

The Word on the Street: Rock Lyrics
Farrar, Straus and Giroux

No comments:

Post a Comment