Friday 10 December 2010

Salinger letter for sale

J.D. Salinger: ‘I See My Novel as a Novel and Only as a Novel’

By Maryann Yin
December 10, 2010 9:39 AM

University Archives will auction a note that J.D. Salinger wrote rejecting filmmaker Hubert Cornfield‘s request to adapt Catcher in the Rye.

Salinger wrote: “I appreciate and respect your ardor, but for the present I see my novel as a novel and only as a novel. Should I change my mind in the future–which is extremely doubtful–I very probably would take on any casting and directing chores myself. Thank you for your interest and please take this as absolutely final.”

Salinger, who passed away in January 2010, never made his directorial debut. He will be the subject of the two-hour Shane Salerno documentary, Salinger. Famous names involved with the project include journalist Tom Wolfe, biographer A. Scott Berg, and Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman.

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/j-d-salinger-i-see-my-novel-as-a-novel-and-only-as-a-novel_b18833


Letter: J.D. Salinger Rejects Film Adaptation of ‘Catcher in the Rye’ 1:01 pm Monday Dec 6 2010
by Judy Berman

We’ve always known that J.D. Salinger didn’t want film adaptations made of his books. But now we (sort of) know why. In a 1953 letter to aspiring filmmaker Hubert Cornfield, in response to inquiry about Catcher in the Rye, Salinger wrote, ”I appreciate and respect your ardor, but for the present I see my novel as a novel and only as a novel.” The note is now up for sale at University Archives, for the low, low price of $22,500. We will say this: for a famously prickly and reclusive writer, it’s a very gracious rejection. Take a look after the jump.

http://flavorwire.com/134595/letter-j-d-salinger-rejects-film-adaptation-of-catcher-in-the-rye

No comments:

Post a Comment